Saturday, February 20, 2010

Magpie Tendencies

I was just reading someone else's blog where they likened "us" to magpies with a penchant to collect all things shiny. Wow! Spot on! Since I was a mere toddler, going through my grandma's jewelry cupboard, I have been fascinated by the sparkly, the textural, the pretty, the odd.....

My cache of all things even remotely "beady" is like a treasure trove and I often get lost in just looking through it....mostly when I'm supposed to be organizing, not looking. I marvel at the wonderful lampworked focal beads I've gotten from artists who continually amaze me. It's not just their work, it's the friendship they've offered to go with it that makes me smile. Wayne Robbins, Nanette Young-Greiner (Scorpio Beads), Shirley Cook (Jumping Jack Glass), ponies from Patti Leota Genack of Glass Horse Ranch, Joanne Morash (Blue Iris Designs)...just to name a few. One big reason I look forward to Tucson or the Bead & Button Show in Milwaukee is to see them in person again...lots of laughs are always involved. And my favorite cabochon person, Jerry from S & S Lapidary. He always has a smile and his enthusiasm is probably why I have 4 stacked trays of cabochons waiting to be used. I'm always happy to see Jerry's wife, Beth and their helper, Paula. So, my "stuff" is not just pretty to look at, it's a collection of really nice people, too.

Like most beaders, I think I have enough seed beads and findings to open my own bead store. Some I must really like since I will find at least 5 tubes of the same color. Not that I needed five tubes, I just forgot what I had. If I croak, my friend Jann inherits it all.....she can worry about sorting it all out!

Today has been one of those days when I can't seem to accomplish anything. I go from one project to another and finish nothing. So, here I sit, with a glass of wine and a roast beef sandwich. I've been reading other blogs, playing gin rummy with the computer and shocking the cats everytime they come by to be petted. Zaaappp! If I were ambitious I'd go see Avatar but seem more inclined toward a book and warm bed covers for the evening. Yeh, I like that plan.