Friday, February 12, 2010

It's Friday Already?

I think the dreaded first of the year annual heebie jeebies about being a self-supporting artist have ended. Whew! I only mean self-supporting in a monetary sense because I am so fortunate to have great people supporting me in many other ways.

So, instead of whining and whimpering in a corner, just shy of sucking my thumb, I am determined to get back into the pro-active world. A certain "muse" who bumped into me recently (Christine) has me interested in doing tutorials. I have a head full of ideas for new jewelry pieces I want to create. And I need to get back to marketing and getting my name recognized again. Have to admit the health issues the last couple of years put a dent in my momentum but it's time to get back on track. I'm an old broad and don't have time to waste otherwise I may have to change my business name from Wilde Jewels to Geriatric Gewels.

Along that line, I'm going to add a Discussion tab on my Wilde Jewels facebook page to start a "Brain Trust", not only to help me but anyone else in 'the biz'. Any and all suggestions welcome. Think I'll call it "Who in the World is Cassandra Graham aka Wilde Jewels?"

I am so sorry I couldn't make it to Tucson this year for the shows. The first year that I went was mind-boggling. I landed at about 12: noon, rented a car and headed for the first show. Talk about getting weak in the knees! And then, when I came out to head for the next show, I couldn't find my car. Most of the rental cars in Tucson are white and I couldn't remember the row I was in. I had to walk several, clicking the remote to see which car responded. I had intended to spend 3 days at the shows but by the morning of the 3rd day, I was driving there and had to pull over.
My senses had become so overloaded with what I was seeing that I just had to stop and leave town. That first show was where I met Wayne Robbins,Judy Mountain, Nanette Young-Greiner (Scorpio)...glass artists that I love working with and look forward to seeing any chance I get.

Fortunately, for me, I have old friends who live in Tucson who let me stay with them for the shows. An added bonus is that my oldest son and his family live an hour south of Tucson and I get to visit with them after the shows. After that first year I learned that my checkbook and I can only stand about 2 1/2 days of being exposed to all the wonderful sites. I can't wait to go back next year!